Finding your voice is an important part of social media. A voice of a human being is not a tangible thing, it is the combination as defined by wikipedia as
"The lung must produce adequate airflow and air pressure to vibrate vocal folds ... The vocal folds (vocal cords) are a vibrating valve that chops up the airflow from the lungs into audible pulses ...The articulators (.. consisting of tongue, palate, cheek, lips, etc.) articulate and filter the sound emanating from the larynx"
For brands it is the same, finding your voice is a combination.
- Understanding of who you are (and who you are not!) and what you stand for
- The ability to express your ideas through words and actions
- The ability to connect the rational reasons why your brand is worth listening to, with the emotional reasons which cause people to want to connect with your brand.
For me there are 4 steps to finding your brand voice
- Truly understanding who you are
- Investing in communication skills
- Finding communication and social media tools which fit with your communication style
- Practice, learn, practice, learn, practice...forever!