Speaking and training is a large part of my business life. 3M asked if I would like totrial their new MP180 pocket projectorl...as I was looking for a handy solution when on the road, I said of course as long as I can be honest!
The projector is not meant as a full replacement which gives me a first concern when the price is over £300. (Though for anyone wanting this cool little gadget you can get a £29.99 discount using code 3M09) But then I open the package and realise this is one cool piece of equipment.
What I love
- This projector weighs only 338grams - no more lugging heavy equipment.
- Battery life of 120 minutes on full power
- 4GB memory which is ample for most uses
- It allows you to connect to the internet and project websites - cool!
- It is incredibly easy to use in the general sense. It has a graphic interface so if you can use a iphone etc then this is a doddle.
- I took over to my mums the latest holiday photos which she had taken, within 2 minutes all the family could see a great projection on the wall.
- You can share video, photos, internet and presentations
- The projection was really strong and excellent visibility
- Gave me much greater flexibility on how to share ideas, took it to explain some ideas to 3 people rather than printing out documents or all huddling round a screen.
- Allows word, excel and powerpoint.
- Wifi and bluetooth connectivity
What I didn't love
- The price is £333 which is not cheap. But there again I will use this much more than a full projector. It brings into play more opportunity to share photos, videos etc as you can carry in your bag...maybe the value > cost.
- Although the interface was easy I still haven't found a back button to get back from the internet.
- The typing for the internet is difficult because the keyboard is small. But then this is a projector not a computer! Also when you typed you had to turn the projector around....or move to its side which was awkward.
- Think this is more of a casual gadget then a full replacement for a trainer. Ideal for informal presentations are ones on the spur of the moment or in management meetings etc
- As a Mac user the lack of iWork compatibility was a bit annoying. But there again I tend to do public presentations in powerpoint as well as a back up.
For all the technical details - check out 3M MP180. I would give this a 4/5 and will definitely be using it over the next few weeks. It is ideal to carry in your bag, i carry this and an ipad which makes travel so much easier. I don't think I will really use the internet as much as I would like to because of the ease of use, but will definitely use it as a team tool as well as a presenting tool.
Worth checking out and great for families