Another pet hate for me is ....the organisation chart. For me it creates all the things which a company tries to stop
- Puts people IN boxes...then they ask them to think outside!
- Creates hierarchy...then they say 'we are a team'
- Creates functions...then asks for cross functional working!
- Puts the Directors at the top...when the roots of a tree are at the bottom with nutrition going upwards
So here are a few ideas which may help
- Why not create a disorganisation chart?
- In creating the above use processes rather than people (removing a little emotion!) and look for areas in which red tape can be cut.
- Why not use a diamond shape...at the bottom the vision, at the top the customer and then how people help connect the two?
I understand why people require them but remember the subconcious effect on people from a traditional organisation chart.
Why not show what kind of company you are, what values you believe in by the way you describe your organisation? Why not use it as an employee engagement tool?
A diamond shape shows a multidimensional company which stands out from the corporate world.