For anyone involved in social media, for anyone who wants an insight into how truly engaging writing is created..for me there is no better book than Stephen King, On Writing.
Here are some of the highlights I have made in my "well thumbed" Kindle copy!
- Good writing is often about letting go of fear and affectation
- Stories ans novels consist of three parts: narration, which moves the story from point A to point B and finally to point Z; description, which creates a sensory reality for the reader; and dialogue, which brings characters to life through their speech
- Writing is refined thinking
- Description begins in the write's imagination, but should finish in the reader's/
- Reading is the creative center of a writer's life
- Your job isn't to find these ideas but to recognize them when they show up
- You cannot hope to sweep someone elese away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.
- Books are uniquely portable magic
- Boredom can be a very good thing for someone in a creative jam
- Writing is seduction
- One of the really bad things you can do to your writing is to dress up the vocabulary......This is like dressing up a household pet in evening clothes. The pet is embarrassed and the person who committed this act of premeditated cuteness should be even more embarassed.
Writing is about communication, great writing for me is about the creation of a picture. A picture which is framed by the author but filled in by the reader...Do you paint with words?