7 Deadly Sins of Brand Marketing

1. Bombarding the inbox with information you want to share, rather than the customer wants to receive
  2. Making access to your brand so damn difficult! Anyone get frustrated with no assistants…hidden contact details on website, bad navigation, that wretched message about how the brand 'values us' whilst making us hit 27 phone options and waiting for an hour.
  3. Overpromising and underdelivering…..so much better the other way round.
  4. Inconsistency – make sure service, product, delivery, interfaces, payments and add on's all show the brand values
  5. Think product or service attributes NOT experiences. How many firms see customer service as an overhead rather than a value creator? How many see it as an adjunct to sales rather than the creator of loyalty?
  6. Think of the prospective sale as the chance of a financial transaction not the creation of a relationship
  7. Think what will work in the short term not the long term of the brand

None of these are difficult to put right….but how often do we have a deadly sin audit!

Need some inspiration…..have you listened to creating insanely great customer service

(Tomorrow I will be doing the 7 Lovely Loves of Social Marketing so if you have a benefit you want to share email or tweet me it and I will include)

Author:
Anna has spent over 20 years as a Board Director at several global brands. She now runs her own company The Engaging Brand which supports business leaders who want to transition to the new social business model. She is also a speaker, writer and radio show presenter on social business, indeed her podcast The Engaging Brand has been nominated 6 years running as Best Business Podcast at the Podcast Awards. She brings an unusual mix of experience to business - she has a 1st Class Law Degree, MBA in marketing and is a qualified Chartered Accountant. This unusual mix means not just explaining the why of being social but how to turn social into a measurable business tactic to grow your bottom line. Her blog www.theengagingbrand.com is recognised as one of the leading UK marketing blogs.

0 Comments

1. abhinaya.ch@gmail.com'
    May 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

This is very relevant to today’s brand marketing. Being bombarded with information about the brand daily creates an aversion.

2. adrian@unitpartners.com'
    May 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I really like this and agree with all the points. So much so that I would like to share it to my Facebook page but it doesn’t look like either of the following URL’s are connecting properly with a thumbnail or description and the preview looks quite untidy on my wall which puts me off posting it to my followers.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Follow up appreciated, as I would eventually like to share this content.

Cheers.

A

3. May 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Adrian – not sure why the trackback isn’t working so thanks for the hat tip will look into that….

The post looks fine to me…which browser are you using?

The best and easiest way of linking is to use the permalink – http://www.theengagingbrand.com/2012/05/7-deadly-sins-of-brand-marketing.html

Glad you liked the content and will go and have a look at the trackback!

Anna

4. adrian@unitpartners.com'
    May 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hello Anna,

I’m using Safari and just tried Firefox. Whenever I try and post the URL on my company FB page the preview and description comes up as a bit.ly link with no image, description or title.

Not sure… if it’s working for you perhaps Facebook is doing some maintenance right now?

5. May 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Adrian

I am using Safari and when I use

Works perfectly…..so maybe a Facebook issue…have you tried copying the link above?

Anna

6. adrian@unitpartners.com'
    June 1, 2012 at 12:13 am

Anna,

Must be a Facebook issue. I’ll find a way around it over the next couple of days. Just checked out your Facebook page. I actually grew up in Bradford, spent 20 years there. Small world.

Best,

Adrian

7. focuz3dimages@gmail.com'
    June 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Good point about the information that the customer would want to receive.