26 SEO Tips From the State of SEO and Internet Marketing Seminar
I attended an online seminar by Hubspot yesterday and wanted to share some takeaways. The recording and slides of the seminar on the State of SEO and Internet Marketing are available here. The seminar was delivered by Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz and Dharmesh Shah, the CTO of Hubspot.
This is a summary of my tweets
- Inbound drives the majority of traffic on the web and there are 3 billion searches per day.
- Remember Penguin REALLY punishes anyone who buys links & there is no way back from this kind of punishment.
- Interested in latest news Seo…non profit site to check out http://inbound.org
- Don't forget to have a picture and date in search results…makes you human, to searchers
- Start with long tail search engines when targetting…then move to chunky middle…so much more ROI
- Love this "don't beg influencers, involve them"
- Create incentive for people to share content…not money though..stickers, surveys …anything to give people value
- Promote the promoters..socially share great content..help others to make their numbers, they help u!
- Just check your basics such as site map…as they are the price of entry for Google
- Traffic at sites investing in making them faster is up – 25% Speed is important for traffic
- Website speed is now part of the Google algorithm as a quick website makes people happier
- Don't optimise for search engines, optimise for humans as that is what googles wants
- Impact of google + is significant, not necessarily in SEO per se but visibly in resullts
- Strong correlation between social shares and links….with linked in, tweets and facebook
- Earned media mentions seem to seo rank much better than PR blasts
- Appears…that Content which is slow, steady and authentic wins over auto generated on Google
- Exact match domains dying slowly….so don't worry too much about your specific site name.
- Next penguin update will be very harsh on people buying links….fab! More value given to great content must be good news
- Google algorithm changed over 500+ times a year…and we find out about 3-4 of them
- Mobile is still seen as the most likely way to change marketing approach over the next 12 months
- Survey data very unused and under invested by companies…people love to share data
- Over 65% of businesses set up a Google+ profile last year.
- Remember ad space withers over time – it is a depreciating asset, unlike SEO….
- "paid search is like renting space"
- 75% of clicks from SERPs are on organic results, not paid
- 50% of search queries have no paid ads at all