I do a lot of talks and seminars with companies who want to learn about social media and how it can grow their business. Here are 5 areas which are the most common mistakes I have come across and as it is often the most asked question, I thought I would share with you
- Doing social media because everyone else does - Social media is a tactic just like any other marketing technique. It needs a goal, a plan and measurement to ensure it is delivering against the business goals.
- Not understanding who your customer is and being afraid to claim a niche. Thereby trying to be everything to everyone- There are many companies fighting for business, you need to identify your specific value and who would benefit...then use social media to connect with them. Your goal is not everything to everyone but something to someone.
- Thinking there is not enough time in the day - Everyone is busy trying to juggle work/life balance. The key is to have a social media plan - use downtime such as waiting for something to print out, waiting for a train, travelling, etc to execute that plan. It is not about finding time, it is about using time effectively.
- Writing about yourself, writing about your product and services rather than what problem people have in their lives, which are causing them to google. You need to write content that identifys the problem...they are the words being used in Google by potential customers.
- Be consistent over the long term. People go hell for leather for 2 weeks expecting social media to suddenly launch their marketing campaigns. It is about slow, consistently great content that brings value to people. Social media is not a short term tactic, it takes time to develop relationships....just like in your own life. People won't know what value you can bring unless you reach out and find those people!
Hope this helps bring value to your business!