7 Writing Sins of Procrastination
Procrastination is an horrendous affliction suffered by many businesses and can really slow down content creation. The wonderful Mitch Joel put me on to a book by Steven Pressfield called the The War of Art and I just love this book on the art of writing.
He talks about how to conquer resistance and the difference between wanting to write and writing for a living – there are so many great thoughts in this creative book that I wanted to share some with you
- It's not the writing part that's hard. What's hard is sitting down to write
- Genius…the Romans used it to denote an inner spirit, holy and inviolable, which watches over us…A writer writes with his genius
- On talent – the innate power to discover hidden connection between two things – images, ideas, words – that no one else has ever seen before, link them, and create for the world a third, utterly unique work.
- Individuals who are realized in their own lives almost never criticize others. If they speak at all, it is to offer encouragement. (The same goes for yourself!)
- Friends sometimes ask "Don't you get lonely sitting by yourself"….No…I was not alone; I was in the book; I was with the characters. I was with my Self.
- …she doesn't wait for inspiration, she acts in the anticipation of its apparition.
- Most of us have two lives. The life we live and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance….(don't let it win)
Pressfield's book is a great read for anyone who has a dream – writing or not – and who is frightened of failure or success. He urges us not to give in to this resistance...a power that says tomorrow will be the start of the new adventure, a power that makes us feel too tired to start now…and urges us to go to that desk and just do it.
Don't think about how or when…just do it
Don't worry about what to write…just write
Don't worry about failure…..action can never be failure, failure is merely thinking about it
Don't worry about others….just listen to your own 'genius'
Don't worry …be happy…because you have conquered resistance.