Accomplished jazz pianist and management scholar Frank Barrett joins Anna Farmery to discuss from his new business book called Yes to the Mess which shows what Duke Ellington and Miles Davis teach us about leadership. We discuss
- How his jazz background helped him become a better Professor of Management by throwing away his teaching plan and developing a more improvisational, creative teaching style
- How to brainstorm - how to disrupt teams by challenging the business thinking
- How to improvise so improvisation does not become standard through the use of small disruptions?
- How to set the boundaries and communicate where the freedom is to the team
- How too much consensus can kill creativity.
- Consensus around aim and diversity around the how you are going to do it.
- How strategic planning is not about being accurate, it is about strategic plans to setting a direction of learning
- When does collaboration become group think?
- Is leadership too competitive and not enough about delivering a great experience for the customer?
How you can listen to The Engaging Brand
1) You can listen on your PC now without downloading any software just click hear to listen to the latest marketing podcast
2) You can subscribe to the show via iTunes or
3) If you use a different podcatcher then you can subscribe using the following RSS Feed