Why is water a scarce commodity for many of the world's population?
I mean there is around 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water covering approximately 70% on our Earth. Yet we have people who have no drinking water.....
The issue is that the vast gallons of water needs to be filtered to make it drinkable.
In a sense this is a great analogy for social media. There is at least 13.59 billion pages indexed as I write this post and yet within all that information as a user I am in search for an answer to my specific search!
The world wide web offers oceans of data but merely offering data does not quench the thirst of your customers or potential customers.
- What is the need and the problem that you have the solution for?
- Who are the customers that have a need, a problem that you can provide a solution for?
- Why are you different to other social offerings?
- Where are those customers on the social web?
- How can you engage them through social marketing?
These questions act as a filter to ensure that you don't attract a great quantitiy of leads but that you attract a niche quality of leads who are ready for your solution.
Like water.....you find, you filter and then you distribute...too often with social media strategy brands distribute, filter and expect to be found.