We have to strive so hard not to ruin the web.....the web was developed for individuals to share, for individuals to gain access to information, for individuals to connect....that freedom, that access, that connection must be protected at all cost.
So let's not see the social web as a social production line of marketing....let's see it as a test kitchen in which we can experiment, add flavour, reduce flavour.....our little social mixing bowl of ideas.
Social media often lacks that one core element of anything 'social'....a little bit of you. Not from a selfish point of view but from a giving point of view. It strikes me that the concept of telling a story, or storybranding in social marketing is turning brands into writers.....creating one chapter after another....
But that is not how we - the consumer - live our lives...only fictional characters do that. So this week I challenge you to the social marketing bake off!!
- How can you add a little flavour to what you put out on the social web?
- How can you add a little colour to what you do?
- What can you add that will turn it from something good into something tasty!
- What can you take away that is only there because it always has been - not because it adds something?
- How can you serve it differently?