Anna Farmery speaks with marketing specialist Joe McCormack. Joe teaches ways to simplify highly complex ideas in an environment full of short attention spans. Joe argues in his new business book Brief that "if you can’t capture people’s attention and deliver your message with brevity, you’ll lose them".
Joe founded The BRIEF Lab in 2013 and serves as managing director and president of The Sheffield Company, an award-winning boutique agency. We discuss
- How being brief is critical in today's short attention span lifestyle.
- Can you explain what you do within a minute?
- How what you do is wider than your job title - think about it from their perspective?
- The importance of a conversational style - find a shared interest, a conversation starter....
- Is there a difference between being brief and being short? What is the balance?
- The more complex the idea, the greater the importance of being able to boil the concept down to its core. Summarise and synthesise.
- How to ensure that you don't lose people when you speak.
- Lessons from journalism and changing up the headlines.
- The why is the most important part of any communication....start there, then add the what and the how.
- How awareness is the first step to being concise.
How And finally the listener of the week Andrew Edgeley - a goodie bag is on it's way to you to say a BIG THANK YOU! For your chance to win just share this post! (Tweet this)
If you use a different podcatcher then you can subscribe using the following RSS Feed